Saturday, March 17, 2012

The World of Gloria Vanderbilt

When I got Wendy Goodman's The World of Gloria Vanderbilt from the library, I was overwhelmed by the beauty. Goodman shows an excellent use of color and a talent for page layouts in this photobook/biography about Gloria Vanderbilt, who was born into the rich Vanderbilt family who gained their fortune "from railroad and shipping empires".


Photographed by Horst P. Horst; Gloria was only 17


Gloria with her future husband Pat De Cicco and Rita Hayworth at El Morocco


Gloria with Salvador Dali in 1941


A painting by Gloria


Photographed by John Rawlings

Gloria's privileged lifestyle allowed her to play many different roles; such as an actress, model, writer, designer, muse, and mother - to Anderson Cooper no less! She was photographed by the likes of Richard Avedon and Horst P. Horst, and dated Old Hollywood big-wigs such as Frank Sinatra, Marlon Brando, and Howard Hughes - but the role I love her in the most is that of a painter.


Photographed by Cecil Beaton in 1953






A self-portrait

There is something incredibly endearing about Gloria's paintings - her use of cartoonish lines and bright colors put a smile on my face, and the fabrics she designed are just beautiful!

LINKS
The World of Gloria Vanderbilt on Amazon
Gloria's Official Website

♥, Kailey

26 comments:

  1. She was so beautiful and clearly led an interesting life! I wouldn't mind chatting up Salvador Dali. Sounds like a great book! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Ive heard her name before but never really checked her out - she sounds like an interesting person with a fascinating life and this book is too wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book looks very interesting. I've never heard of her before but I love some of the images in the book, especially the doll parts! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pictures in the book look beautiful! & you look gorgeous in the top photo, XO.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a great book. I had no idea Anderson Cooper was his son!!
    She was so beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. She looks absolutely lovely.

    I love how your bangs are styled.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This book is truly gorgeous!

    sorry I haven't commented on your blog for a while, I can't keep up with all the updates and lots of blogs I want to check out get lost in the updates.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks so cute, and so do you- I love your hair/lipstick/nails xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. you look lovely with that hair and eyemakeup and sweater too.

    I was wondering if you ever did a DIY that time you did Siouxsie Sioux makeup, cause I want to give it a go and I am rubbish at makeup.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Indeed!
    All your style is cool♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a stunning book! I just checked online, and my library has it too! Hopefully I can pick it up later this week and soak up some inspiration. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This book is so well designed and laid out...I love how bright it is! I'll have to check this out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. great post ,that book looks so interesting xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cool, I recently finished learning about the 1920s tycoons~ She dresses so well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Geez what a gorgeous book! I love when things are laid out so nicely. She's such a cool lady!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful book. And I've been to El Morocco in NY. The club still has the old zebra walls and everything. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. The book looks beautiful! It is really well set out. I love her paintings, too.
    -Andi x

    ReplyDelete
  18. You look like you stepped out of the pages of the book yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  19. wow super cool!
    I love the first picture of yours btw.
    xxx,
    Betül

    ReplyDelete
  20. Seems like a very talented lady :) oooh also I loooove how you have done your makeup! You hot thannnnnnngg you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your blog has such flair and moxie! LOVE the GV tribute. Kudos.

    ReplyDelete
  22. seems like a very nice book. Great post

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh, that's beautiful. And your blog looks ravishing now too! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow this book seems a real pleasure for the eyes darling!
      kiss,mary
      http://maryloucinnamon.blogspot.com/

      Delete
  24. I had no idea of any of these things about Gloria Vanderbilt! I only know her name because of her jeans! Thanks for sharing - I learned something new. I may check out this book. I love the first photo of you, you look so pretty. Have a nice day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I really love this post, very interested to learn more x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I read (and cherish!) each and every comment, and respond to questions either via email or twitter (to make sure you see them!) ♡