Good Reads

Thursday, October 24, 2019


Francoise Hardy

Is there anything better than a lit candle, a cup of coffee, and a new book to sink your teeth into? With the weather getting colder by the day, it's the perfect time to talk books! As an eager, precocious teenager, I burnt myself out reading everything I could get my hands on. Biographies, canonized literature, children's books - no matter the subject matter, I wanted to read it! It was only last year that I really started reading again, and what a joy it's been! Today, I wanted to discuss some of my favorite books I've read this year, and ones I'm planning on reading next!

Expedition Sketchbook: Inspiration and Skills for Your Artistic Journey by Laura Brouwers (Cyarine!) *
I've been following the artist @cyarine for somewhere around 5 years - Laura's work has always enraptured me for her expert use of color, beautiful lines, and unique to her aesthetic. I was overjoyed when she first told me she was working on a book - and to finally have it in my hands has been so exciting! Not only is it beautifully illustrated, but Laura gives us an inside look at her artistic process - offering insights on how she employs color and light, breaking down various techniques, and more. Though not wholly a "how-to" book, I have already picked up so many great tips that can be applied to so many mediums of art.


If Not, Winter: Fragments of Sappho translated by Anne Carson
For years I've subconsciously avoided poetry - I find it rather intimidating! But for so long I've heard about Sappho, one of the most iconic poets in history. I decided to give it a go - and was absolutely floored. What I was afraid would be hard to understand wasn't at all - instead, we have stunning lyric poetry that feels as alive as something that was written yesterday. I was also shocked and heartbroken to find out just how little we really have left of Sappho's poetry. But I was heartened to think that even with such a small amount left, what remains has bewitched the hearts of so many for, quite literally, centuries. It's overwhelming and beautiful to know so many themes of love and loneliness are so universal.

Face Paint: The Story of Makeup by Lisa Eldridge
World renownded makeup artist to the stars Lisa Eldrige takes on the history of makeup in this centuries spanning book. As somebody who loves both history and makeup, this was a perfect marriage for me. Lavishly illustrated and with sections devoted to specific eras, colors, and products - I was highly impressed. I do wish we could have gone even deeper on certain subjects, but considering the amount of time that was covered, I'm not surprised! Would reccomend.


The Pink Book by Kaye Blegvad *
It’s pretty safe to say I’m obsessed with the color pink. I’ve had pink hair for seven years, I’m wearing a pink robe, and in front of me in Kaye Blegvad’s The Pink Book. I excepted a cute look at the history of pink - what I got was a brilliantly illustrated (by the author herself!), gorgeously laid out book filled to the brim with antidotes about pink things, pink feelings, and what pink represents. I was intrigued by not just the things you would except in a pink book - fashion, cotton candy - but how the author used pink as a spring board to discuss serious topics such as gender and sexuality. I greedily read the whole thing in a matter of days - but you can be sure I'll be using it as a reference guide and the perfect resource for all things pink!


The Secret History by Donna Tartt
After hearing about this book for years, I finally decided to dive in this Spring. While the plot's twists and turns left me a bit confused at times, finishing the book I was left feeling so in awe of Tartt's writing. Her ability to set up an environment, describe feelings, and flesh out what felt like living, breathing characters blew me away. Would recommend for people who love dark dramas and crime novels.

Right now, I'm reading Perfume: A Century of Scents by Lizzie Ostrom and Girls and Their Cats by BriAnne Wills *. Now it's your turn! Please leave a comment sharing one of your all time favorite books, and one you are currently reading! I would love to add more to my to read list :)

4 comments:

  1. i reread the secret history this year! i first read it when i was 16 and i really related to the feelings of isolation and displacement cause id just finished school. it was good to read it again now that i dont relate to those feelings as much! i truly love all the characters so much even though theyre all so flawed and i think thats part of the magic of donna tartt's writing. I'm currently reading Tangerine and im really enjoying it, it reminds me a lot of margaret atwoods style. id highly recommend any book by atwood as well - i like her short story collections and the robber bride and cat's eye although all her stuff is so heavy and gripping so definitely a daytime read and not a before bed kind of read. i love neil gaiman short stories espesh if you like more fantasy/fairy tale elements and also... tbh.... sherlock holmes stories.... they still hold up and if you like true crime theyre really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was actually wishing I had read The Secret History sooner, I think I would have liked it even better as a teenager! :o And eep, thank you so much for these recommendations, I'm excited to dive in! I loved the original Sherlock series!

      Delete
  2. Great recommendations! I'm really interested in The Pink Book. My goal this year was to read a book once a month and I'm happy to report that I completed my goal! I'm still going to continue to read because I really enjoy it and want to make it a part of my regular routine. ♥

    www.mooeyandfriends.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eeep I hope you get the chance to read The Pink Book, I enjoyed it so much! Congratulations on reaching your goal! Reading 12 books this year was my goal too - right now I'm at 11! <3

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by! I read (and cherish!) each and every comment, and respond to questions either via email or twitter (to make sure you see them!) ♡

Mermaidens - Musings of a Modern Mermaid ©2011-2014 All rights reserved
Portrait in Header Illustration by Sibylline Meynet designed by Designs Blue Moon