Learning to Knit: Peach Fizz Cardigan

Wednesday, July 26, 2023


Over the past year, I’ve fallen down a knitting rabbit hole! I learned about different kinds of yarn, what "gauge" means, how to decipher a pattern, and much more. After a few months, I was finally able to knit pieces more complicated than a scarf! Tears were shed, a million mistakes were made, but the feeling of accomplishment was astonishing.

I wanted to share my first knitted garment and the process with you guys! And if you knit or crochet, I'd love to hear about your own fiber art journey. 👀


The Project: Peach Fizz Cardigan
Having only knitted a simple scarf and leg warmers beforehand, graduating to an article of clothing was daunting. But I was inspired after stumbling upon this knitted cardigan pattern, and went full steam ahead trying to learn how to bring it to life. In the process, I ended up finding an incredible knitting community, a huge thank you to my knitting buddies I made along the way!


The Inspiration Board
Knit Pattern by Stitched By Denise, Peach bath bomb, vintage Avon "Pretty Peach" collection, embroidered daisy trim, pearl buttons, Peach Patch, For Love & Lemons Cardigan, peach rings


Process
Pattern: Cardigan by Stitched By Denise
Poisoned Apple Top by Lily Kate France (for sleeves)
Yarn Used: Stylecraft Special DK in Apricot
Notions: Pearl Buttons
How Long It Took: About a month!

After completing the knitting portion, I decided to stitch lazy daisies on top for more visual interest. Adding pearl buttons was the finishing touch!

The Finished Garmet
After being a lifelong fan of fashion and textiles, being able to knit pieces for my wardrobe is fulfilling on a level I haven't experienced before. Knitting has also taught me so much about patience, and how much perfectionism hinders progress. It feels like a little piece of me is in each project, mistakes and all! I am excited to be on this knitting journey and for all the lessons I learned along the way.

Techniques I Learned: 1. How to seam vertically and horizontally 2. How to do German Short Rows 3. How to do a lazy daisy stitch 4. How to knit buttonholes.

Things I Could Do Better: 1. The armholes are a bit tight 2. I wonder if I chose the right size. I think a more fitted silhouette would be interesting to attempt! 3. I accidentally melted a panel of this cardigan after using a steamer too close to the fabric - tears were shed (I had to knit the panel over again lol) 4. I think for future projects, I might do half twisted rib instead of plain 2x2 or 1x1 ribbing, I find the end result looks cleaner.




Puff sleeve detail



Do you knit or crochet? What was the last thing you made? I'd love to hear about your own projects! Also, would anybody be interested in a "how to start knitting" post? ♡

8 comments:

  1. I commented on instagram already but this looks amazing!! I'd definitely be interested in a post about how to start knitting, I've always wanted to get into fiber crafting but it seems so daunting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I will definitely share a how to post in the future. I feel you so hard about how fiber crafts, and any new skill or hobby really, can be daunting to start! But with patience and practice I'm sure you can do it ♡♡♡

      Delete
  2. Looks gorgeous, great Color, it suits you very well. Also the Pics are fantastic. Greetings from Vienna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, oh my gosh! I'm glad you like the color too, I was really pleased with this shade of peachy pink. Sending love back from Oregon and hope you are having a beautiful day in Vienna! ♡

      Delete
  3. Kailey, I love this so much!! I'm so impressed that you knitted a full on cardigan! I've already started seeing a bunch of Halloween and Christmas stuff on Instagram which is making me want to crochet a festive ugly cardigan or vest, but I'd have to buy so much new yarn haha. All the yarn that I own is too bright!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh Audrey thank you so much! We need you to do a round up post of all your beautiful crochet projects! 😍 And I am so in love with your Christmas cardi or vest idea...

      Delete
  4. Awwww, Kailey! It's so beautiful! You did an amazing job! I'm jealous of your knitting skills but working hard to improve my knitting so I can make beautiful things like this!

    I guess I'm pretty known for my crochet. I started crocheting because I attempted to learn knitting but it was too difficult for me so I tried crocheting and got used to it pretty quickly so I kept crocheting. haha ♥ www.mooeyandfriends.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Michelle omg! You TOTALLY got this!! Your crochet work is sooo lovely <3

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by! I read (and cherish!) each and every comment, and respond to questions either via email or twitter (to make sure you see them!) ♡

Mermaidens - Musings of a Modern Mermaid ©2011-2014 All rights reserved
Portrait in Header Illustration by Sibylline Meynet designed by Designs Blue Moon